Last spring, I wrote about a great retail site with tough soils, and how we were approaching the job. Nature then turned this project into a case study in weather extremes, from the record-setting drought over the summer, to late fall monsoons.
- Geotechnical inspectors were onsite to record any particularly wet locations.
- Fine graded, then compacted sub-sub grade with low impact equipment.
- Placed one layer of Tensar TX160 triaxial geogrid, with a 3 foot overlap of grid at all joints.
- Followed by a 12″ course of a sandy clay mix of soils, using 2 compacted lifts
- Finished with base and asphalt.
Throughout the site, the compaction requirement was 98% of maximum density. We did exercise the option to add another layer of geogrid in any areas where proof rolling materials failed.